The “Stahl House” in Congress Park becomes Denver’s newest landmark

Published on January 11, 2021

1272 Columbine Street

DENVER – After a public hearing tonight, Denver City Council voted to designate the property located at 1272 Columbine St., otherwise known as the Stahl House, as a new landmark in Denver. The Stahl House was built in 1889 and is 132 years old.

John Seward Stahl, a well-known Denverite and an influential business leader with a robust commitment to civic life, moved to Colorado in 1879, and in 1884, moved to Denver to establish a new business selling typewriters, eventually becoming the leader in the field. The family was so well known by the late 1880s that when Stahl purchased the lot for the family’s future home at 1272 Columbine St., it made the newspapers. The Stahl House was among the first built in what is now Congress Park and remained in the Stahl family until 1943.

The Stahl House was designed by renowned architect William Lang, who was one of the city’s most prolific residential architects in the 1880s and early 1890s. Two of his best-known designs include the Molly Brown House at 1340 Pennsylvania and St. Mark’s Parish at 12th and Lincoln. It is estimated that Lang designed over 250 structures in Denver.

The Stahl House is built in the Queen Anne style with Richardsonian Romanesque flourishes and details. It is one of the few remaining homes in Congress Park that can be clearly recognized as a Lang design.

Tonight’s City Council vote was unanimous, making the structure Denver’s 351st local landmark.

Download the staff report from Community Planning and Development for more details on 1272 Columbine St.

Lean more about the landmark designation process at www.denvergov.org/landmark.