Eviction Help

Key in door lock on home


Eviction is when the tenant is court-ordered to leave the property. Only a sheriff may enforce this court order, and landlords can never evict without a court order and a sheriff. Note: In Denver, deputy sheriffs conduct the evictions. This type of legal action is called a Forcible Entry and Detainer (FED).

Landlords cannot legally deny tenants access to the property, change the locks, or remove the tenant’s possessions without a court order. 

Struggling to pay rent? You can come to Room 163 in the Denver County Courthouse, located at 1437 Bannock St, from 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. every Tuesday through Friday. Staff are available to answer questions and assist if you are facing eviction or in need of rental assistance.

Read more about courthouse resources here!(PDF, 108KB)

Denver Tenant Rights and Resources

On May 3, 2021, the Denver City Council passed a new ordinance requiring a Residential Rental Property license for any person to offer, provide, or operate a residential rental property in the City and County of Denver. The ordinance also adds additional renter protections. Beginning January 1, 2022, owners and operators of residential rental property (also known as “landlords”) may not allow any person to initiate a new occupancy of a rental property for more than 30 days unless and until the tenant has been provided a copy of an executed written lease, signed by both the landlord and tenant. The landlord must provide the tenant an electronic copy of the signed lease, or paper copy if requested by the tenant, within seven days from the tenant signing the lease. When providing a copy of the executed written lease and at any time the landlord makes any rent demand, the landlord must provide the most current version of a tenant rights and resources notice, which can be found in English and Spanish on the Department of Excise and Licenses’ Residential Rental Property License webpage.

If you have questions or have not received the Tenant Rights and Resource Guide(PDF, 87KB) (también disponible en español(PDF, 88KB)) upon signing a lease or receiving a notice, you can reach out to Karissa Johnson at tenantlegalservices@denvergov.org and be connected with someone at Excise and Licensing, the enforcement agency for violations of the Rental Registry Ordinance.

The Department of Housing Stability (HOST) provides funding for eviction legal assistance, as well as rent and utility assistance available. You may be eligible for up to 15 months of rent assistance. You can apply by clicking on the ‘Apply Online’ tab on our Rental & Utility Assistance page or call 1-844-926-6632 with questions. Immigration status and landlord participation are NOT required.

Free Eviction Legal Services

HOST provides funding for free legal services for low to moderate income households (at or below 80% of the area median income) facing an eviction. Information on free legal services can be obtained from:

Free Landlord-Tenant Counseling Services

HOST provides free landlord-tenant counseling services through Colorado Housing Connects. This resource can connect you with a housing navigator to learn more about tenants’ rights and the steps needed to resolve a tenant-landlord issue. To learn more, call 1-844-926-6632 or visit the Colorado Housing Connects website.

Resources for Denver Residents Facing Foreclosure & Eviction


Home Repairs, Energy Help, & Other Assistance

Home repairs and modifications - Denver Urban Renewal Authority (DURA)
Help paying energy costs - Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)
Free energy audits and weatherization assistance - Energy Resource Center
Assistance with housing discrimination and/or abuse - Denver Metro Fair Housing Center
Additional assistance programs - Denver Human Services