Cash Assistance (Colorado Works/TANF)

If the resources in your community or in your home are running low, we will work with you to get you back on your feet so you and your family can stay safe, supported, and well.

Our trained and compassionate staff will help you see if you qualify for Colorado Works or other types of cash assistance, and connect you to community resources that can help you reach your goals.

How to Apply


Apply online through the Colorado PEAK website. Se ofrece servicio en español. 

Please note: this site is maintained by the State of Colorado; when you click on the link, it will take you outside of the Denver Human Services portal.

Apply for Cash Assistance

In Person

You can apply for cash assistance in person at any one of our DHS locations.

If you are a new customer and cannot access our website or have mobility issues, we can bring the paperwork to apply for cash assistance to you! Call our document delivery hotline at 720-944-1520. We will leave an application at your door and can make arrangements to return to pick it up once you complete it.


Have an application sent to you by mail or fax. Call (720)944-4DHS (4347) for more information.

You may mail your completed application to:

Denver Human Services
1200 Federal Blvd.
Denver, CO 80402

You can also fax it to 720-944-3094.


While you cannot apply by phone, you can call (720)944-4DHS (4347) for more information about the application process or for updates regarding your application. Se habla español. 

What You Need to Know

What types of cash assistance are available?

The main cash assistance program is called Colorado Works, part of the federal Temporary Aid to Needy Families program. Through Colorado Works, income-qualified families receive monthly cash assistance payments, help with emergency household expenses, and get support in preparing for and finding work.

Other types of cash assistance include:

When you apply for cash assistance, we will determine your eligibility for the available programs at the same time.

How do I apply for cash assistance?

You can apply in person by visiting one of our offices or community outreach locations. For a list of where we are in the community, call 720-944-4DHS (4347). You can also apply online through Colorado PEAK, which is a statewide application service for medical, food, cash, and early childhood assistance programs.

What are the Colorado Works program requirements?

If you receive cash assistance from Colorado Works, you’ll be required to look for a job or be involved in a work activity. Work activities can include some approved education or job skills training programs, volunteer work or community service, job readiness and job search activities, and full and part-time employment. Your case manager can help you identify qualifying activities and will work with you to help you reach your goals, such as finding full-time work or advancing your education.

Can you help me find a job or get my GED?

Yes! When you apply for Colorado Works, your case worker will talk with you about your goals and how we can help you reach them.

Can I receive Colorado Works if I'm a full-time college student?

In some cases, yes. Your case manager can help you determine what work activity you may need to complete, as some of your schooling may count toward your work hours.