Child Support

Every child deserves emotional, medical, and financial support from both their parents. We help ensure children receive the support they need to be safe and well, even though they may not live with both parents.

We assist by:

  • Helping locate a non-custodial parent
  • Establishing paternity and creating a legal relationship between a father and child
  • Establishing, monitoring, and enforcing medical and child support orders
  • Providing access to other resources through our Parenthood and Fatherhood Program to address barriers that some parents may be experiencing

What You Need To Know

Who can receive child support?

To receive child support, you must be the legal guardian of a child. You may apply for child support services in any county in Colorado, regardless if you are the custodial or non-custodial parent. You must be at least 18 to apply; if you’re under 18, your guardian must be the one who applies. Immigration status is not a factor in receiving child support services.

How do I apply to receive child support?

We can help you apply for child support services, which include locating the non-custodial father, establishing paternity, establishing a child support or medical support order, and ensuring the other parent complies with the order.

The easiest way to apply is through the Colorado Child Support Services Program's online application. The online application is available 24/7—apply online anywhere, anytime (only available in English at this time). Apply online now.

Alternatively, you may download and print an application:

Once you have completed the application, contact child support services via email or call us at 720-944-4DHS (4347) to process your application. 

How do I make child support payments?

Child support payments must be made through the Family Support Registry (FSR), unless the court has authorized you to pay the custodial parent directly.

The FSR is Colorado’s centralized child support collection unit. It processes payments and distributes funds to the custodial parent, and it is the official payment record-keeper.

You can make your payment by:

Contact our customer care unit at 720-944-4DHS (4347) or email for more information.

What happens if a parent misses a child support payment?

If you are ordered to pay child support, you must make those payments on time in accordance with the court’s order.

Failure to do so can trigger judicial or administrative steps, which may result in one or more of the following:

  • Suspended driver license
  • Bank account seizure
  • Income withholding order
  • Interception of federal and/or Colorado state tax refund
  • Liens on property
  • Interception of unemployment and worker’s compensation payments
  • Negative item on credit reports
  • Denial of passport application
  • Loss of professional and recreational licenses
  • Interception of gambling and lottery winnings

Can I make changes to a child support order?

Either parent can request a review of the child support order. To modify an order, we use a “review and adjustment” process that begins with gathering information from both parents about income and expenses. Both parents will have the opportunity to provide input during the process, and we may ask either or both parents to come to our offices.

We will review the information provided to determine if there is good cause for modifying the order. If we decide it’s in the child or children’s best interest(s) to change the order, we will recalculate the monthly child support payment using the Colorado Child Support Guidelines.

Your current child support order will still be in effect while your request is being reviewed, and child support payments must continue to be made until a new order has been approved. To request a review, contact the technician who is handling your case.


Get Started

Get more information on child support by calling 720-944-4DHS (4347) or emailing

You can apply for child support online, anywhere, anytime, with the Colorado Child Support Services Program's online application.  

 Alternatively, you may download and fill out an application below: