A zoning permit is required to create a new billboard, renew an existing billboard, or move a billboard more than 1 foot from its current location. Zoning permits for billboards are renewed annually.
New billboards are allowed in the following Denver Zoning Code zone districts:
- CMP-NWC (National Western Center) zone districts,
- D-TD (Downtown Theater District),
- UO-2 billboard overlay use district (only allows ground or wall billboard types),
- Peña Station Next Design Overlay District (DO-6), or
- with permission from the Manager of Aviation on land with Denver International Airport (DIA) zoning.
To install a new billboard, one or more existing billboards need to be removed first to ensure no net increase in billboard signage in Denver. You must use these removal credits from the previously removed billboards to apply for a new billboard.
Apply for a billboard (sign) permit