Swimming Pools, Spas, and Water Features

swimming pool Photo by Adheesha Paranagama on Unsplash This webpage provides guidance on applying for swimming pool, spa, and water feature permits. Please review this information before applying for your permits.

General Rules

  • Homeowners can apply for building permits without a contractor, but will need to meet specific eligibility criteria. Review the homeowner permits page for more information.
  • The Denver Zoning Code does not allow private, household swimming pools to be used commercially (i.e., you cannot rent out your private swimming pool on Swimply or other swimming pool rental apps).
  • Public pools located at apartment complexes, hotels, public recreation centers, hospitals, and health clubs, are licensed and routinely inspected for water quality, safety equipment, general cleanliness of the facility, and quality of the pool equipment. Private, household pools are not.


Construction Permits

Pools that are installed as a permanent structure require zoning and sewer use and drainage (SUDP) permits. Interior or in-ground, exterior pools also require building permits. Projects that upload all of the information required for these three permit types (zoning, building and SUDP) with their initial online application can receive a simultaneous review.

Scroll down for a list of items to upload with your application.

Trade Permits

Depending on your project, you may also need trade permits, such as electrical, plumbing, mechanical, or boiler/AC permits if you are adding light, or a pool heater/boiler and piping. These can be applied for at any time, and in most cases, are issued online as quick permits. Find out what qualifies as a quick permit.

How to Apply using E-permits

Apply for permits online

First-time e-permits users will need to create an online account. Once signed into e-permits, go to "Apply for a Permit" under "Development Services."

For zoning, building, and SUDP permits: When prompted to select a permit type, select "building log."

For quick permits (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, boiler/AC): When prompted, select the appropriate permit type under "Quick Permits" and follow the prompts.

What to Upload with Your Application

Please upload these documents with your online application. 

Site Plan

Please draw the site plan to scale and include the scale and a north arrow on the plan. Please also include labels and dimensions for...

  • all zone lot lines (e.g., primary, side, rear)
  • adjacent streets and alleys
  • all existing structures and driveways already on the property
  • the proposed pool dimensions
  • distances from the proposed new pool to existing structures, lot lines, etc.
  • fences/barriers and all related equipment

For SUDP, please also include the size, type, and location of water, storm sewer, and sanitary sewer lines on your site plan.

Boundary Survey

Submit a boundary survey if any of the equipment or pool is within 3 feet of the property line.

Drawings of Electrical and Mechanical Equipment

Submit drawings outlining all electrical and mechanical equipment including (but not limited to) size, type, power requirements, filtration system, chemicals, location and maintenance access area.

Shoring Plan

Submit a shoring plan if your project requires excavation.

In addition to the above, commercial and multifamily projects must also submit:

  • Structural calculations
  • Engineered electrical drawing that includes the information required by Denver Building and Fire Code Section 133.2.10 (A) through (E), where applicable
  • Environmental Health plan review application(PDF, 198KB) along with equipment specifications for all pool equipment
  • An inventory of pool chemicals to be stored on site and location of storage
    • Indicate location and type of fire extinguishers, type of pool alarm and whether it will be connected to the fire alarm system

Special Situations

Landmarks and Historic Districts

All projects that are located in a historic district or a designated landmark will require a certificate of appropriateness, meaning the project's design has been reviewed by Landmark Preservation and is appropriate for the historic nature of the property. It is highly recommended that you obtain this certificate before applying for building and zoning permits.

Learn more about meeting design guidelines for landmark properties.


If your property is along a designated parkway and the project encroaches on the parkway setback, you will need to download an Exception Request form (located under Contact the Parkways Team on the Parkways webpage) and email it to parkways@denvergov.org

Visit the Parkways webpage

Floodplains and Sewer Lines

If your property is in a floodplain or if you are digging within two feet of the sewer line, a sewer use and drainage permit (SUDP) may be required.

Research your property