Denver’s Single-Use Accessory Restriction Ordinance went into effect January 2022. This ordinance requires all retail food establishments to provide single-use condiments and single-use service ware only upon request by a customer. Our hope is that this will drastically reduce the amount of condiments, plastic silverware, and straws restaurants need to buy and make Denver a leader in the sustainability space.
We want to make ordinance as easy as possible on your restaurants, staff and customers. Together we will:
- Reduce the amount of waste generated by single-use items
- Change customer habits regarding single-use items
- Help your restaurants reduce unnecessary costs
To make this ordinance easy to implement, the City of Denver has created printable materials to educate your customers and staff. Materials are in Vietnamese, Spanish, and English. If you need them materials, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We are happy to provide signage in other languages. Thank you for helping us reduce waste in Denver!
Retailer Toolkit (includes printable materials)
Tài nguyên bằng tiếng Việt
If your establishment would like signage in a specific language, please email email@example.com. We are happy to provide signage in other languages.
The #SkipTheStuff program allows restaurants to save money and resources by encouraging customers to use what they already have at home.
Skip the stuff. It’s that easy.
- In 2018, 35.7 million tons of plastic were generated in the U.S., and 27 million tons of plastic were landfilled. Only 8.7% of plastic was recycled. (EPA, 2018) Single-use condiments and single-use service ware contribute to this plastic waste.
- Starting January 2022 restaurants and third-party delivery services are required to only provide single-use condiments and single-use service ware when requested by a customer.
- The ordinance does not apply to:
- Self-service stations inside restaurants
- Special events
- Prepackaged items that include single-use items
- Meals provided as part of a social service
- Meals provided to guests in hotels
- Third-party delivery services may use single-use items that prevent spills, such as spill plugs and cup lids.