Auditor O’Brien’s Office Wins Fifth National Award
Published on March 29, 2022
Lea este artículo en español
We are pleased to announce, the Denver Auditor’s Office produced one of the top local government audit reports in the country, once again. The Association of Local Government Auditors shared the winners of the 2022 Knighton Awards, including the Knighton Distinguished Award for our audit of the Airport Parking Shuttle System.
The Association of Local Government Auditors represents audit shops across the U.S. and in Canada. According to the organization, the Knighton award "recognizes the best performance audit reports of the year."
Audits are judged in categories among reports from other audit organizations of similar size. Criteria for top reports includes:
- Potential for significant impact and responsiveness to needs and concerns of decision-makers and/or the public.
- Conclusions that are persuasive, logical, and firmly supported by the evidence, which was gathered using appropriate research methods and tools.
- Recommendations that are feasible and will make government programs more effective and efficient.
- Results that are communicated clearly and concisely.
While we perform our work on behalf of everyone who cares about Denver — not just to win awards — national recognition from our peers validates our methods, professionalism, and results. Our community can rest assured that our audits are rooted in fact, extensive research and analysis, and auditing best practices.
The Airport Parking Shuttle System audit found management wasn’t doing enough to ensure the shuttles running from parking lots to the terminals are on time and that the company running them isn’t overcharging. The shuttles were frequently late entering the parking lots. Neither the airport nor the vendor was effectively monitoring customer complaints. And the process to award the airport shuttle contract wasn’t competitive enough.
National judges said, "The Auditors employed a sound methodology that included both qualitative and quantitative tools to identify areas of non-compliance, inefficiencies, and improvement opportunities. The report was thorough, well documented, and logically connected the findings, causes, and recommendations."
The auditors who worked on this report included Audit Manager Sonia Montano, Audit Manager Vilma Balnyte, Lead Auditor Shaun Wysong, Lead Auditor Chris Wilson, and Lead Auditor Rhianna Hruska. Audit Director Dawn Wiseman oversaw the project.
This is the fifth time since Auditor O’Brien took office that the Association of Local Government Auditors has recognized our work with an annual Knighton award. The awards include:
- 2022 Knighton Distinguished Award – Airport Parking Shuttle System
- 2021 Knighton Exemplary Award – Neighborhood Sidewalk Repair Program
- 2019 Knighton Distinguished Award – Denver Preschool Program
- 2018 Knighton Distinguished Award – Affordable Housing
- 2015 Knighton Exemplary Award – Rocky Mountain Human Services
AUDITOR TIMOTHY O'BRIEN, CPA
Denver Auditor's Office
201 W. Colfax Ave. #705 Denver, CO 80202
Follow us on Facebook Connect with us on Twitter
Read our Social Media Policy Here