Please note that the effective date for the new codes shall be four months after the date of the City Council ordinance in which they are adopted.
For any projects submitted to Denver Community Planning and Development (CPD) after the passage of the adopting ordinance, and before the effective date of this code, the continued use of the 2011 Denver Building Code (2009 international codes and 2011 Denver amendments) shall be allowed.
Major projects in design during the drafting of the new code, and which will be submitted to CPD after the effective date of the new code, may be reviewed and permitted under the 2011 Denver Building Code, with the approval of Denver’s director of Development Services. To request that your project proceed under the 2011 Denver Building Code, the owner or owner’s agent must submit a letter before the effective date of the 2015 code, addressing the following seven items.
- Request to proceed under the 2011 Denver Building code;
- Address of the project;
- Description, number of stores, floor area, occupancy, etc. of the project;
- Date design drawings were commenced;
- Intended date of construction drawing submission to CPD;
- Commitment that permits will be obtained and construction of the project will
- commence within 180 days of the effective date of the 2015 code;
- Commitment that the project will be completed within 24 months of the effective date of this code.
Submit letters via email to Development Services Director Steve Ferris at firstname.lastname@example.org. He will review all written requests and issue a determination within five business days.
Type-approved structures approved by Denver’s building official under the previously adopted code and prior to the effective date of the new code may continue to be permitted and constructed under the 2011 Denver Building Code for 180 days after the effective date of the new code.