Most building projects in the city of Denver -- including new construction, remodeling and repairs -- require general construction (#1R or #1C) permits to allow construction, and then trade-specific permits for each part of the project.
However, some trade-specific permits can be issued without the need for a plan review. These permits are referred to as "quick permits."
Some quick permits include:
- Permit #2 - Roofing, siding
- Permit #3 - Electrical:
- "Minor Work Only" for ten or fewer new 20 amp/120 volt circuits, relocating lights, or relocating outlets
- Electrical work with services rated 200 amps or less (applies only to single-family and duplex homes)
- Permit #4 - Plumbing: like-for-like replacement of plumbing elements that are not exempt
- Permit #11 - Mechanical: like-for-like replacement of mechanical elements that are not exempt
Like-for-like must include no change in geometry, demand, or materials.
Please note: No structural modifications can be permitted as a quick permit.