Most building projects in the city of Denver -- including new construction, remodeling and repairs -- require general construction (#1R or #1C) permits to allow construction, and then trade-specific permits for each part of the project.
Some trade-specific permits can be issued without the need for a plan review. These permits are referred to as "quick permits." However, any project that involves changes to the exterior of historic landmark structures or properties in historic landmark districts must be reviewed by Landmark Preservation staff before you can receive a quick permit. Minor work requiring quick permits, but introducing little to no visible change to a historic structure or property, may be subject to the Landmark Quick Review and Approval Process. Applicants may submit the quick review application form (PDF) to Landmark Preservation staff during counter hours or may email the application to Landmark Preservation staff. These applications are typically processed within 1 business day of receipt. Quick review approvals may be issued by Landmark Preservation staff for like-for-like replacement of the following exterior features, providing that the applicable design guidelines and standards are met:
- Rear yard decks and porches (must demonstrate no change in size, height, materials and ornament)
- Rear yard fences (no change in height, openness and materials)
- 1-2 flat skylights
- Sheds not on foundations (less than 100 square feet)
- Exterior HVAC work (no change in geometry, demand or materials)
- Simple exterior mechanical work
- Re-roofing (no change in materials)
For more information about the Landmark Quick Review process, visit the Design Review page, select ‘Other Alterations’ and read the ‘Quick Review’ section.
Examples of quick permits:
- Permit #2 - Roofing, siding
- Permit #3 - Electrical:
- Minor work only -- ten or fewer new 20 amp/120 volt circuits, relocating lights, or relocating outlets
- Electrical work with services rated 200 amps or less (applies only to single-family and duplex homes)
- Permit #4 - Plumbing: Like-for-like* replacement of plumbing elements that are not exempt
- Permit #11 - Mechanical: Like-for-like* replacement of mechanical elements that are not exempt
*Like-for-like must include no change in geometry, demand, or materials.
Please note: No structural modifications can be permitted as a quick permit.