Our goal is to empower fathers by providing educational information about parenting, co-parenting, child support, the court system, and the role of Denver Human Services. With this information, fathers will be positioned to grow as men and parents, enabling them to be the kind of fathers they want to be and their children need them to be.
We have partnered with the community to provide these classes and groups to assist men in their journey as fathers:
- Child growth and development
- The effects of abuse and neglect
- Understanding your teen
- Collaborating with the mother of your child for the benefit of your child
- Understanding the effect domestic violence has on a child
Additionally, the program works internally with DHS staff in every program area to increase participation of fathers and include fathers in family services provided by the agency. The DHS Fatherhood Program serves as the Denver chapter of the Fathers & Families Coalition of America. Their mission is to enhance the capacity of service providers throughout the nation, so they will be better equipped to effectively serve fathers, mothers and children. The DHS Fatherhood Program is dedicated to finding best practices, implementing new programs and working with our state partners to improve outcomes for fathers and families.
To find out more about the Fatherhood Program, please call 720-944-6300.
Advantages of being an involved father
Research says, when a father is involved in the lives of his children he will:
- Be a more stable and supportive father;
- Have a better chance of lowering child support payments;
- Be more aware of and understanding of the issues of his children;
- Begin to experience the joy of being there for his children;
- Establish strong relationships.