Ceremonies & Officials

Once you have obtained your marriage license, your marriage must be solemnized (performing a ceremony such as a wedding), and then your marriage application and certificate must be recorded with the Clerk and Recorder.

A marriage may be solemnized by an officiant who has been ordained or recognized by a religious denomination, a judge of a court, a retired judge, a court magistrate, a public official whose powers include solemnization of marriages, or a Native American tribal official. Colorado law does not allow a friend or relative to solemnize a marriage (that means he/she cannot sign the certificate as officiant). Alternatively, you and your intended spouse may solemnize your own marriage. Clergy ordained out of state do not need to be registered in Colorado to perform a wedding.

The solemnizing official will complete your marriage certificate, attesting that your marriage solemnization has been performed lawfully. (Note: The marriage license and marriage certificate are two distinct instruments that appear on the single form. Please do not separate them.)

If you or your intended spouse is unable to be present at the solemnization, the absent party must authorize a third person to act as proxy (C.R.S. 14-2-109 (2)). Self-solemnization is not allowed in a marriage by proxy. You can find a Marriage Ceremony Proxy Power of Attorney form on the forms page.  The spouse who can be present and the proxy must both present a valid ID when applying for the license.

Colorado law allows couples to self solemnize, or perform their own marriage (C.R.S. §14-2-109(1)). To do this, a couple need only indicate such on the marriage certificate form on the third line, indicating "themselves." The couple must both sign below where the clergy or judicial officer would otherwise sign, and then sign again as "bride" and "groom." Neither witnesses nor officiant are required for a valid self solemnization.

You may choose to solemnize your marriage while in the building and return the certificate to the Clerk and Recorder immediately. In any event, you must return the marriage certificate for recording no later than 63 days from the date of solemnization.

Note: Self-solemnization is recognized as a valid marriage in Colorado under CRS 14-2-109 (1). 

Denver County Court maintains a list of judges who perform weddings during the week, on weekends, and in the evenings.
If you plan on changing your name after marriage, please reference this 7 step checklist.

You are encouraged to purchase a certified copy or copies of the marriage certificate as insurance companies or other entities may require verification.

Lista de control de 7 pasos para cambio de nombre posterior a matrimonio o union civil.

Es avisable comprar una copia o copias certificadas del acta como las compañías de seguros u otras entidades pueden requerir la verificación de su matrimonio.

Marriage & Civil Union Stats Available

We are now posting our monthly marriage license stats and civil union license stats online. Marriages in Denver are up this year!