Out of State Lateral testing opportunity:
- Monday, October 27, 2014 through Friday October 31, 2014
The Out of State Lateral application opens at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, September 22, 2014 and closes on Friday, October 3, 2014 at 11:59 p.m.
Out of State Lateral Application
- This special testing will require an access code in order to apply. Call the Commission office to acquire this code at (720) 913-3371.
- Upon completion of your application, further documents will need to be downloaded, completed and returned to the Commission by 5:00 p.m., Friday, October 10, 2014. Please click on the following link for these documents:
To apply for a Lateral Police Officer position, you must meet the following requirements:
- Possess a current Colorado Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certification or state equivalent;
- not currently under Internal Affairs investigation for any reason;
- a minimum of three (3) years of law enforcement experience performing calls to service or street duty (Patrol Experience) while employed full-time;
- currently employed full-time as a state certified law enforcement officer by a state, county, or municipal police or sheriff's department; OR
- laid-off or retired within the last twelve (12) months from such a full time, state certified law enforcement position; AND have been in good standing at the time of lay-off or retirement.
The following types of experience are NOT regarded as "law enforcement" experience for the purpose of Lateral to the Denver Police Department:
- Deputy/Officer employed in a jail/prison setting;
- "Full Service" employment in a university setting;
- A volunteer reserve police officer;
- A military police officer;
- A District Attorney investigator;
- Employment on a part-time basis; or
- Time spent in a training academy.
Before completing the official on-line application, we encourage all prospective applicants to complete a Lateral Pre-Assessment to see if you qualify.
Click here Lateral Pre-Assessment
The Denver Police Academy functions as a combined Lateral and Entry-level recruit program. All new hires begin at Entry-Level Police Officer pay and grade. At the discretion of the Academy, Lateral recruits may graduate on average after 15 weeks of Academy training depending upon past experience and training. At the discretion of the Academy, Lateral recruits who do not graduate at 15 weeks are required to complete up to 27 weeks of Academy training.
Effective 1/1/2014, while in the Academy, all Police recruits will receive recruit pay of $46,913.00 plus benefits. However, upon successful completion of the Academy, and at the discretion of the Executive Director of Safety, Lateral recruits may be appointed (depending on merit, experience or record) to the rank of Police Officer 3rd
grade per Charter provision. Pay will be adjusted according to the appointed rank. See the Lateral Police Officer Examination Informational booklet
for details. (Please note the application and testing dates in this booklet are out of date)
Lateral Transfer Police Test Preparation Materials
Still have questions?
Felisa M. Urdiales